Meeting Commenced: 1:30 EST
Regrets: S. Brown
In attendance (via skype): M. Sinatra, D. O’Donell, S. Sinclair, K. Lawson, R. Cunningham
- ADHO pubs committee update: forthcoming changes to the server, forthcoming change to the webmaster
- DS/CN First editorial meeting of new editorial staff, including new Man. Ed.; two articles in galley; two articles in review; two articles have come in; one expression of interest for potential another article
- Ideal turn around (1 week to acknowledgement; 6 – 8 weeks for review; 12 weeks total to publication: these are the ideal, and DS/CN is getting close to it)
- Changes to Bylaws still in progress
- New membership site still in progress
- New French Name for Society, Société canadienne des sciences humaines numériques; invites a change to the English side of the name to Canadian Society for Digital Humanities, producing the acronym CSDH-SCSHN
- Discussion of implications for putting a national name in the society name: could it impact our ADHO funding model?
- Discussion over whether to endorse this new name today, or postpone until our April meeting.
- The final decision will be delivered by the membership at the AGM.
- Action Item: We agree today to endorse this new name when it is presented for approval at the AGM.
- 2012 conference program is almost complete. The program chair, B. Nelson, will send out letters of acceptance & rejection soon (within days)
- ACCUTE has indicated a disinclination to modify its program so that our joint session with them will fall within the days of the SDH-SEMI conference
- Action Item: The exec asks MSinatra to contact the Pres of ACCUTE to ensure she is aware of this problem and understands the seriousness, for SDH-SEMI, of having a session that falls outside the time frame of our conference. If a resolution to the issue is not forthcoming, MS is empowered by the exec. to withdraw our support of the session.
- Gaming Assoc. will cooperate with us to choose a mutually agreeable time for a joint session
- Healthy numbers of speakers will participate
- Conf. Committee approves the idea of having a poster session about recent successful funding applications
- A question asked about having B. Nelson post a blog entry on numbers of papers submitted and accepted, in the hope that SDH-SEMI will look like a friendly place for people to submit for presentation
- Student funding (assistance) for conference attendance discussed
- Emergent Scholar Award discussed, based on a Early Career Award document forwarded today to the Exec.
- Should the award be aimed at early career scholars, or at a significant piece of work?
- Ask the awards committee to take into account our discussion today –pre-tenure-ish (10 years or less); early career longer (15 years?)?
- Action Item: The exec likes the emphasis on the work, but is split on the question of whether an emphasis should be placed on very early (pre-tenure or equivalent? less than 10 years) career scholars or whether mid-career scholars, up to 15 years post-PhD, should also be eligible. This is a decision we’re asking the Awards committee to deal with, then return a revised version of the award document to the exec for possible adoption at our next meeting.
- Blog posts to be used to encourage wider participation in our Society
- On the question of potential North-South connections there are no new developments
- Outstanding Achievement recipient’s anticipated expenses discussed
- ADHO journal payment has been made
Adjournment: 3:15 EST
R. Cunningham, Secretary