- Time and Location: 13:30 Eastern on Skype
- Regrets from Susan
- Participating: Keith, Dan, Michael, Stéfan, Richard
Approval of Agenda
Approval of December 5th Minutes
- Corrections: that ADHO needs a new webmaster, not SDH-SEMI-ANNUAL
Committee and Officer Reports (precirculate if possible):
- Nothing pre-circulated
- ADHO web issues affected by John Unsworth’s departure from UIUC
- For March meeting, anticipate bylaw changes and new French name for our society
- Subscription form–MOU with ADHO to enable membership through Fed website
- Dan speaks to ADHO nomination committee work being done by Susan (in her absence)
- The committee needs to find a list of ADHO positions before it can proceed in its work
Vice President Outreach (also Web/infrastructure)
- Infrastructure issues being addressed, which is not to say solved
- French language renaming of the society will come for discussion before the Exec as early as March meeting
- The membership page in French, enabling payment in their own language, may be more important than a new name
- Dan cautions that server speed likely to remain an issue at least through the spring
- Finances are good.
- ADHO payment received before year end
- SDH-SEMI paid up with FEDCAN
- Institutional subscriptions to the ADHO journal form a basis for ADHO payments to SDH-SEMI
- CfP has gone out
- We are using ConfTool
- By February meeting we should have numbers of submissions
- Treasurer asked to discuss attendance plans with the recipient of this year’s Outstanding Achievement Award, toward predicting the costs
- Richard circulated an email asking us to discuss OUP and its support for SOPA
- MIT, Penn State UP, have posted anti-SOPA statements, Cambridge reported to be considering the issue
- Richard to draft a statement for circulation to Executive prior to being posted on SDH-SEMI website
SDH-SEMI and North South Collaboration
- Is SDH-SEMI interested in pursuing “North-South” international collaboration (i.e. developing collaborations, co-hosting workshops and events, seeking funding with programmes and colleagues in the developing world?)
- Should SDH-SEMI pursue relationships with digital organizations in the global south?
- Perhaps we could ask Ray Siemens & Dan think about how to pursue this idea? What sources of money, how to do it, etc.?
- We should not forget that our first priority is the Canadian context, and that we need to increase our Canadian membership numbers.
- Dan will report back after discussing this with Ray.
Advocacy and Outreach position/committee?
- Given the number of times we discuss the need to be active with national and international organisations and work on developing discipline, should we establish an advocacy and outreach position?
- Such a position might lead to greater uptake of ideas put forward during Exec meetings or general meetings or on an ad hoc basis
- Would such a position remove from executive oversight public statements seeming to come from SDH-SEMI?
- Our need for such a position may not be urgent, but we agree to keep an eye on the idea.
- The VP Outreach will compile a list of possible issues that might benefit from the attention such a position could enable